Monday, December 10, 2012

Marathon Weekend!

Marathon weekend in Tucson, AZ was a total success!  Grayson ran his first official kids race on Saturday, which took place around the U of A mall.  He ran almost the entire mile in 14 minutes and was awarded his very own medal and t-shirt for completion.  The weather was gorgeous and it was so great to be back on campus.  Although we took a trip to Tucson a few years ago, I hadn’t actually been on the U of A campus since I had graduated.  Walking around and seeing all these super young-looking students made us all feel SO OLD!   We even passed by two girls doing the dreadful walk of shame!  Pretty funny!

082

On Sunday, I ran my second marathon, which was out by where we were staying in northern Tucson.  I had been on the fence about running another marathon after my first VERY painful one; however, after taking a few months off, I decided to give it another shot.  I signed up for this one in June and started training in August.  I felt a lot stronger this time around and thankfully didn’t hit the “wall” like I did last time.  Although I am totally paying for it today with some pretty sore muscles, it was all worth it, as I finished in 3:31:31!!  Apparently a Boston qualifier!  This may just be our excuse to take a trip out east!  It was a beautiful course and the weather couldn’t have been nicer, and I loved that it was a much smaller-scale marathon.  However, going into it thinking that it was primarily a downhill course, there were definitely a few too many uphill surprises that did a number on muscles I didn’t even know I had!  Sometimes I think it helps when you don’t know exactly what’s in store for you.

Grayson doing warm-ups by the starting line!

 029027 Picture by Old Main.020

I still feel guilty for having this picture without the kids in it, but they were with my parents at the time and I couldn’t pass up a picture with Wilbur & Wilma!  I was so excited, I actually asked Wilma if she could take a picture of Blaine & I with Wilbur (so that we could be together).  Before she could shake her head no, I realized how stupid I must have sounded!

078

I’m not sure Blaine was as excited as I was!

077

We booked a room with two queens so the kids could share a bed this time.  We got a kick out of their various sleeping positions throughout the night.  Grayson was quite the bed hog, and Missy just sort of put up with it.

photo (2)012

Ready for his big race!  Grammy and Papa at Old Main.

013018035030

On your mark, get set, GO!

045049

We did it!

054056059063064067

U of A is where these two sweethearts met!

073

Mama gets a medal too!

079086

Before we left, Grayson wrote a letter to Santa.  He wrote his name and his age and had me write down his various requests.  After reading it out loud, he sort of sounds like a little redneck cowboy…. and one that just wants a nicer little sister!  We did send the letter to the North Pole and actually already heard back!

We also did our Angels last week and I had Grayson go with me this year to the fire department deliver the toys. He was very proud to give this bike to “the little boy that doesn’t have any toys.” 

003007

Mr. Tall has been very busy in our house these days too.  He actually turned up in Payson when the boys were hunting and also appeared in our hotel room in Tucson.  At home, he is a total clown, turning our milk green and making a total mess at times!  This morning, he brought us all Christmas night lights!  He can be super thoughtful when he wants to be!

008004

1 comment:

  1. You're elf is so good. Bop is like "Oh hey! here's another shelf". hahaha, Lazy ass elf!

    ReplyDelete