Sunday, May 29, 2011

Teeth, foods, worms and more!

003


Colbie already got her first two teeth a couple weeks back! It’s funny how quickly you forget all of the stages that babies go through. I remember now (of course because we are going through it again!) how fun the teething stage is…… waking throughout the night, horrible diaper rash, drooling, fussiness…..whoo hoo! Luckily for us, Colbie really is a great baby and is still pretty happy-go-lucky despite experiencing all of these symptoms. We’ve also started giving her some rice cereal now and although she’s just a few days shy of 6 months, we’ve also started some solid foods.


It is amazing how completely different Colbie and Grayson are on so many aspects, including eating. I know you shouldn’t compare your kids, but it is so hard not to. From four months on, Grayson was VERY particular about who held him (usually only Mommy or Daddy) and he is still pretty shy and takes a while to warm up to people to this day. I’m sure things could change, but so far, Colbie is pretty easy-going and isn’t too shy when it comes to meeting new people and letting others hold her. Grayson always was (and still is) a pretty difficult eater from day one. He has gotten better with age…..although I really think it’s more of an issue with being stubborn rather than being a picky eater!


I will never forget his face the first time we offered solids (squash). In fact, I will find that picture and include it in this blog because the picture speaks a thousand words!


Here’s Colbie on her first food (squash).


004


And here’s my stubborn little boy on his first day of foods (also squash)!


017


Colbie, on the other hand, pretty much loves anything you put in front of her (so far anyhow!). That being said, we got a little happy with the foods since she was taking them so well (giving her almost an entire jar at each sitting). As a result, the poor thing got pretty plugged up to the point where I took her to the Dr. last Thursday to make sure she was ok. Actually there is more to the story…… and I apologize in advance if I am being to graphic for anyone! Not only was she completely constipated and also had severe diaper rash (I am assuming from the teething), but after several painful-to-watch episodes of her straining and pushing, I went to change her and was shocked to find a foreign object that was still attached! Over the next 24 hours, this “worm-like” string kept getting longer and longer every time I changed her, but it still remained attached. I had a million thoughts going through my head like she’s crapped out a parasite or part of her intestines or something, so I decided I had better take her to the Doctor. Now to give myself credit, even the Doctor was a bit taken aback and afraid to touch the worm-like '”thing” attached to her butt and had asked me if I thought it was alive! But after careful examination, she made the diagnosis that my baby had simply swallowed a string! Neither of us knew how long this string was or if it was attached to anything else, so she advised not to tug on it and that it would simply pass on its own. She also asked me if I had any other small children in the house who may have fed this to her!!! Hmmmm……very possible! Needless to say, Colbie finally passed the string and after giving her a little juice and cutting back some on the solids, she is becoming more regular and feeling much better now!


A few pictures to share from the past couple weeks.


Miss Colbie!


005


The other night in the tub, Grayson was having a melt down and I just had to laugh (because sometimes that’s all you can do!) and took a picture! We are having more and more of these lately! He can be such a shy loving sweetheart one minute, a kid on crack the next, and then a total drama mama, limbs flying in the air, screaming his head off little brat the next! Sorry Grayson…..but it is true!


002


Daddy’s little girl!


007


008


Mommy’s sweetheart!


010


Blaine’s sister, Jessica and her long-time boyfriend, Joel finally got married this month! We had them over a couple weekends ago to celebrate and the cousins had a ball hanging out and playing with Grayson’s new tractor.


013


Grayson stepped in one of Chase’s presents and is proudly showing it here. I went over to help him rinse it off and he said, “No Mommy, I just step it off in the grass…..I got it!” A little poop never hurt anyone!


011


Hope everyone is having a happy Memorial Day weekend! Blaine actually managed to get two days in a row off, which was nice for a change, but he is back at it tomorrow. We helped my parents with a garage sale yesterday and sort of just relaxed and did a few things around the house the rest of the time.


Although I have tomorrow off, I picked up a Thursday, so still a normal three day week for me and then we are off to Laguna this coming weekend for our Fourth Annual Mud Run! Hoorah!!!


Hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Thing! I can't imagine how she ate/was fed a string...but then again kids are full of surprises. Tell Grayson to cheer up because his best friend/enemy Molly is coming over today :-)

    ReplyDelete